Thursday, June 28, 2012

Mango chutney / Aam ki launji

This mango chutney was accidental. It was originally intended to be chunda or chundo, the famous Gujarati sweet and spicy mango preserve. My friend had given me a bottle of it a couple of months back and I had with theplas and khakras and it was over in a week !
This time I told her I would join her in making this. This is made in summer since it needs to be kept out in the hot sun for a couple of days, and for our luck, just when we decided to start our chunda project, it got all cloudy and rainy...

mango chutney

I had bought the Rajapuri mangoes that are used specially for chunda, but by the time the sun was out again, the mangoes had ripened. It was quite disappointing, but my friend suggested making launji instead, a sweet and spicy chutney. This is her grandma's recipe.

The chutney turned out really tangy, a little sweet, a little spicy in each bite. I loved this one and its so much easier than the chunda ! Had this with ajwain parathas, and the combination was finger-licking good !

Mango chutney

What you need -

1 cup chopped mango (what I used was ripe, but not too ripe)
2-3 tbsp sugar (adjust as per the sweetness of the mango)
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp fenugreek / methi seeds
1 tsp fennel seeds / saunf
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
2 red chillies broken in half
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp salt or to taste
1 tbsp oil

What you do with it -

Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan.
Add the mustard seeds. Once they splutter, add the saunf, red chillies and then the methi seeds, in that order.
Add the mango pieces with the turmeric and salt. Cover and cook for about 5-6 mins
Add the sugar, chilli powder and 2 tbsp water and then keep on a low flame for about 8-10 mins, till it thickens up
Allow it to cool completely and then store in a jar
Serve with hot parathas

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the mango chutney, and eating with ajwain paratha makes this combo a sure winner :)

Anamika@madcookingfusions said...

Hey thanks for stopping by in my space, you have a lovely collection. I want to make both amm ki launji plus choondo, its in my to make lists :). Will keep coming back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin