Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Oat and Ragi cookies

Ragi or finger millet is a part of the staple diet in the rural areas of Karnataka, especially among farmers. It is high in calcium, low on fat and provides a lot of energy to the body
I used a lot of ragi for my son when he was about a year old. I cooked the ragi flour in milk and then added some mashed fruits and it was a nutritious meal which kept him going for hours.

oat and ragi cookies

It is extremely rich in calcium and used regularly as baby food and for older people, who need the calcium intake. Ragi is also very cooling and in summers it is had with milk or buttermilk. Ragi with oats makes a very nutritious combination, though I must confess that I don't really like either of them unless its in a very interesting form, like these crunchy cookies.

You need to acquire a taste for ragi and it isn't something I can have as is, with milk or as mudde, the traditional way people have it in Karnataka.

ready to bake

I had seen this recipe for ragi cookies on Sanjeeta's blog and tried them once, but I must've gone wrong somewhere and it turned out slightly soft, so I added oats this time and it turned out really crunchy, just the way I like it. The oats adds to the taste and the nutrition and these cookies were a perfect snack with milk for my son. Thank you Sanjeeta for this recipe, would have never imagine cookies with ragi otherwise.

Ragi and oat cookies
(Adapted from Lite bite)

Makes about 30 cookies

What you need -

3/4 cup Ragi / finger millet flour
1 1/4 cup oats (I used quick cooking Quaker oats)
2 tbsp maida / APF
1 tbsp cornflour powder (I used custard powder)
2 tbsp cocoa powder
3/4 cup sugar (slightly lesser would also work)
3/4 cup softened butter
2 tsp curd / yoghurt
1.5 tsp baking powder

What you do with it-

Roast the ragi flour in a pan for 2-3 mins on a really low flame. Ensure that it doesn't get burnt
In a large bowl, add the ragi flour, oats, cornflour, maida and baking powder
Mix well and set aside
In another bowl, add the butter, curd and sugar. Mix till the sugar dissolves
Add the wet and dry ingredient and make a hard dough with it. If it is very soft, add a little more maida and form the dough
Wrap it in cling wrap and refrigerate for about 10 mins at least
(I baked the second batch with the dough that was refrigerated for about 4 hours and it worked fine)
Take the dough and make small balls. Lightly press them between your palms and then place them on a baking sheet
I used this baking mat that needs no greasing and the baked cookies can just be pulled off with no effort
Heat the oven to about 180 C. In my OTG (Morphy Richards 40L), I preheat it at 160 C for about 12 mins
Bake the cookies at 180 C or 160 C, as per your oven requirements for 12-15 minutes
Enjoy these crunchy healthy cookies with a cup of milk or tea

10 comments:

Unknown said...

The cookies are not only healthy but look so good that I want a dozen now :)
Professional baking mat, did it make life easier?? Am thinking of getting an OTC 40 l one or whichever one is the biggest in the market right now, will need all ur help!

Rajani said...

They look so inviting. Cookies and milk - awesome combination.
Would love to try - any way to reduce the 3/4 cup butter to lesser? Will that affect crunchiness?

Archana said...

Rajani, try and reduce butter to half cup and add a little milk / curd so that the cookies don't become too hard

Hamaree Rasoi said...

The first click is amazing...This low fat cookie is most welcome...

Archana said...

Wow these are awesome. I agree with you when you say you need to aquie a tatse for ragi with milk or buttermilk. Love the cookies. Just asking when i scrolled down the cookies on the mat seemed to move closer then farther. Am I seeing things?

Prathima Rao said...

These are super healthy cookies!!! Now this I ought to give it a try...Nice pics too :)
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

pankti said...

I wanted to make ragi cookies since i saw the nutrichoice ragi cookies..Thanks for the recipe, i sure am going to make these :)

Archana said...

@Archana, I felt that too the first 2-3 times I saw it :) strange !!

Anonymous said...

Lovely pics! And healthy cookies.. wow, did I just say healthy and cookies in the same sentence. ;)

Unknown said...

Hi archana,
I tried these yesterday, the cookies are awesome. But mine turned out to be little brittle, do i have to reduce ghee or baking powder. Pls advice.
Regards
Shivani

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin